Sunday, June 28, 2009

IT Home Learning Lesson 1


A Dream Within A Dream by Edgar Allan Poe


Take this kiss upon the brow!

And, in parting from you now,

Thus much let me avow-

You are not wrong, who deem

That my days have been a dream;

Yet if hope has flown away

In a night, or in a day,

In a vision, or in none,

Is it therefore the less gone?

All that we see or seem

Is but a dream within a dream.



I stand amid the roar

Of a surf-tormented shore,

And I hold within my hand

Grains of the golden sand-

How few! yet how they creep

Through my fingers to the deep,

While I weep- while I weep!

O God! can I not grasp

Them with a tighter clasp?

O God! can I not save

One from the pitiless wave?

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?



The Hyperboles are in ORANGE

The Personification are in BLUE

The Metaphor are in GREEN

The Simile are in PURPLE

The Symbolism are in LIGHT BLUE





Before I start talking about why I like this poem, let me first say that there are actual various interpretations of what the poet is trying to say here.


One of the interpretations is that the poem is about Poe's feelings about his life at the time, dramatizing his confusion in watching the few precious things in his life slip away. Realizing he cannot hold onto even one grain of sand leads to his final question that all things are a dream.





Why I like this Poem


There are two main reason why I really like this poem. The first reason is the why the poet writes this poem and the second is the content of this poem.


The thing about the way the poet writes which interests me the most is the repetition of the same structure. By just changing a few words in the repetition, the meaning can change a 180 degrees.


As for the content, I think it is really great to represent time with sand. The thing about sand is that it is too small for you to hold and you are unable to stop the flow, just like time. Therefore, it is trying to say that the control of time cannot be done as it will just keep on flowing.

3 comments:

Jason Erik Lundberg said...

Another thing to remember about the "time is sand" metaphor is that this was also literal in Poe's time; people had clocks and pocketwatches, but they also still used hourglasses, which literally used sand to show the passage of time.

BAKArobot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BAKArobot said...

Thanks. I overlooked the fact that this was written a long time ago.

Post a Comment